|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Centaur||36, 34, 10||888||Vickers, Barrow||24.1.1915||6.1.1916||8.1916||sold for BU 2.1934|
|Concord||2A, 46, 15||889||Vickers, Barrow||1.2.1915||1.4.1916||12.1916||sold for BU 8.1935|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t||
|No of shafts||
4 sets Parsons geared steam turbines, 6 Yarrow boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
belt: 76 - 32, deck: 25, CT: 152, gun shields: 102
5 x 1 - 152/45 BL Mk XII, 2 x 1 - 76/45 20cwt QF Mk I, 1 x 1 - 76/23 13pdr 6cwt QF Mk V, 2 - 533 TT (beam, sub)
Although often described as ex-Turkish ships, the two Centaur class were additional units of the 1914-15 Programme to follow the Cambrian class. However to save time the builders were authorised to use two sets of machinery which had been ordered for a pair of Turkish scout cruisers, and out of this came the Centaur class. The opportunity was taken to incorporate all wartime lessons learned to date, principally the need for more 152mm guns and director control. They were given 5 152mm guns, one forward, one between foremast and fore funnel, one abaft the funnels and two superimposed aft, as in the Caroline class. They were also given a heavier tripod to take a large two-storey control top. Being the first light cruisers with an 'all-big gun armament' they were nicknamed 'Tyrwhitt's dreadnoughts' when they joined the Harwich Force. Distinguished from earlier two-funnelled cruisers by the gap between foremast and funnels.
Armoured belt protected ship at full length, its thickness was 76mm abreast machinery spaces (51mm armour on 25mm plating), 51mm (38mm armour on 13mm plating) aft and 38mm (25mm armour on 13mm plating) fore. Belt was closed by aft 25mm bulkhead near stern. It extended to main deck (and to upper deck abreast machinery). Machinery and steering gear were covered by 25mm deck.
1917 - 1918, both: - 1 x 1 - 76/23; + 2 x 1 - 40/39 2pdr QF Mk II
1925, Centaur: - 1 x 1 - 152/45
1929, Concord: - 2 x 1 - 152/45
1932, Concord: - 2 x 1 - 76/45
Centaur was mined in June 1918, repaired till December. Concord was attached to Signal School from 11.1928.
Many thanks to Wolfgang Stöhr for additional information on this page.