home

fighting ships of the world

IMPERIAL RUSSIAN NAVY (RUSSIA)

OTHER FIGHTING SHIPS

OPYT gunboat (1862)

Name No Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
<Opyt>, 5/1883- <Mina>     Carr & McFerson, St. Petersburg 8/1861 9/10/1861 5/1862 sold 3/1866, re-commissioned 2/1870, harbour vessel 8/1907

 

Displacement normal, t

270

Displacement full, t

 

Length, m

37.7

Breadth, m

6.78

Draught, m

1.83 max

No of shafts

2

Machinery

2 HP, 1 boiler

Power, h. p.

195

Max speed, kts

9

Fuel, t

coal

Endurance, nm(kts) 1100(6)
Armour, mm wrought iron; breastwork: 114

Armament

1 x 1 - 196/12 60pdr SBML

Complement

28

Ship project history: Iron-hulled and originally armoured. A report of 1901 states that she then had the engines formerly in TB78 and TB81.

Ship protection: The gun was protected by 114mm breastwork.

Modernizations: 1860s: - 1 x 1 - 196/12; + 1 x 1 - 279/17 obr. 1867, 2 x 1 - 87/17 4pdr obr. 1867

1870: was armed with 2 x 1 - 87/17 4pdr obr. 1867

Naval service: Opyt was disarmed in March 1866 and transferred to private owner for service as icebreaker but in February 1870 armed again and re-commissioned. In January 1906 she was laid up but in August 1907 recommissioned as harbour vessel, in July 1915 as survey vessel. In March 1918 she was transferred to Red Finnish Republic and captured by White Finnish troops in April 1918 at Helsingfors. In 1922 Mina was sold by Soviet Government for scrap in situ.

Opyt

Ivan Gogin, 2014