home

fighting ships of the world

IMPERIAL RUSSIAN NAVY / SOVIET NAVY (RUSSIA / USSR)

MINE WARFARE SHIPS

M.1 (TEPLOKHOD NO1) motor boats (1914)

M.1 (Teplokhod No1) 1914

Names

M.1 (Теплоход №1 <Teplokhod No1>); M.2 (Теплоход №2 <Teplokhod No2>), 8/1940- Кери <Keri>, 7/1941- №1 <No1>, 7/1941- №1502 <No1502>; M.3 (Теплоход №3 <Teplokhod No3>); M.4 (Теплоход №4 <Teplokhod No4>); M.5 (Теплоход №5 <Teplokhod No5>)

Builders

Crichton, St. Petersburg

Completed

6/1914: M.1 - 5

6/1914 // 8/1940: Keri (2nd time)

Losses

M.1 (captured by Germany 4/1918, Finnish T15 Paukku), M.2 (captured by Germany 2/1918, Estonian Kalev), M.3 (captured by Germany 2/1918, Estonian Tahkona), M.4 (captured by Germany 4/1918, Finnish T21 Loimu), M.5 (captured by Germany 4/1918, Finnish T16 Lieska)

No1502 (28/8/1941) (2nd time)

Transfers

none

Discarding

none

 

 

Displacement normal, t

34

Displacement full, t

 

Length, m

20.7

Breadth, m

5.00

Draught, m

1.20

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Bolinder semi-diesels

Power, h. p.

60

Max speed, kts

7.2

Fuel, t

diesel oil 0.9

Endurance, nm(kts) 420(5)

Armament

1 x 1 - 7.6/94, 25 mines

Complement 8

Ship project history: Built in St. Petersburg and Finland. In some documents they were named Teplokhod-1 - 13 (Motorship-1 - 13). Boats were used as coastal minelayers and minesweepers. M11 - 13 remained incomplete.

Modernizations: 1941, Keri: + sweeps.

Naval service: In 1918 all were at Revel and Helsingfors; M-1, 4 and 5 were captured by Finland, M-2 and 3 by Estonia. Small minelayer ("motorship") of IRN No2 was abandoned in 1918 in Revel and in 1919 commissioned by Estonian Navy as M8, in 1927 renamed Kalev and in 1935 Keri. Since occurrence of Estonia in USSR 13/8/1940 she was commissioned by Baltic Fleet as Keri.

   No1502 was scuttled at Tallinn 28/8/1941; she was salvaged by Germans and since May, 1942 served under German flag as patrol motor launch (carried names Ks156, ORe76), since late 1943 as dispatch vessel Keri. In the autumn of 1944 she escaped with refugees to Sweden where she was interned. In 1945 boat was returned to the USSR.

© Ivan Gogin, 2009-14