NAVYPEDIA



HOME
FIGHTING SHIPS OF THE WORLD
RUSSIA / USSR
TORPEDO SHIPS
MINSK destroyer leaders (projects 38, 38bis) (1939 - 1940)


Photo



Minsk 1940

Ships


Name No Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate Modification
Минск [Minsk]   471 190 Zhdanov Yd, Leningrad 10.1934 6.11.1935 2.1939 TS 7.1951, training hulk 4.1953 project 38
Серго Орджоникидзе [Sergo Ordzhonikidze] (ex-Орджоникидзе [Ordzhonikidze], ex-Киев [Kiev]), 9.1940- Баку [Baku]   267 198 Marti Yd, Nikolayev // 199 Yd, Komsomolsk-on-Amur 1.1935 // 3.1936 25.7.1938 12.1939 target 4.1958 project 38bis
Тбилиси [Tbilisi] (ex-Тифлис [Tiflis])   268 198 Marti Yd, Nikolayev // 199 Yd, Komsomolsk-on-Amur 1.1935 // Summer 1936 24.7.1939 12.1940 target 4.1958 project 38bis


Technical data


Displacement standard, t

1952

Displacement full, t

2597

Length, m

127.5

Breadth, m

11.7

Draught, m

4.14 mean 4.18 max

No of shafts

3

Machinery

3 geared steam turbines sets, 3 water-tube triangle boilers

Power, h. p.

66000

Max speed, kts

36

Fuel, t

oil 621

Endurance, nm(kts)2100(20)
Armament

5 x 1 - 130/50 B-13, 3 x 1 - 76/52 34K, 2 x 1 - 45/43 21K, 6 x 1 - 12.7/79, 2 x 4 - 533 TT, 2 DCR (25), 76 mines

Electronic equipmentMars hydrophone
Complement

250



Graphics


<i>Minsk</i> 1940
Minsk 1940


Project history

First combat ships designed and built in the USSR after a long-term break, called by revolution and civil war. The design assignment of the first Soviet destroyer leader has been approved 1.11.1928 (preliminary works were conducted since 1925). It provided creation of large ship, on armament and speed exceeding as available Noviks, and the majority foreign destroyers. The basic project 1 was approved in February, 1930, and in the end of 1932 under it building of 2 ships for Black Sea Fleet and 1 for Baltic Fleet was begun.     Hulls of project 1 leaders differed by considerable slenderness, sharp stern streamlines, and also absence of propeller shafts A-brackets: they were replaced by so-called "trousers". Triple-shaft machinery was placed en echelon in five compartments. It has predetermined a characteristic outline profile with two widely placed funnels and a high fore superstructure. Leaders received new B-13 130mm/50 guns, but their long-term development has delayed commission of ships. Besides, gun No3 was placed unsuccessfully and had limited arcs of fire. Fire control system was Italian by Galileo. 533mm TTs were applied for the first time in the Russian / Soviet Navy. The original project provided seaplane, but later it was refused.

On trials all ships have significantly exceeded a designed speed. Leningrad has shown 43kts at 2225t and 67250hp; Moskva 43.57kts at 2330t and 77725hp. However the insufficient hull strength, crankiness and bad manoevreability on low speed were been revealed. In a result, after formal commission Leningrad 2 years spent at the shipyard for elimination of defects. Following 3 ships (Minsk, Kiev and Tiflis) were built under improved project 38. The basic differences consisted in more full stern form and application of usual A-brackets for propeller shafts. On the speed they yielded to predecessors, having shown on trials 40-40.7kts.

In January, 1949 ships were re-rated as destroyers.

Modernizations

1941, Minsk: - 2 x 1 - 45/43; + 6 x 1 - 37/63 70K

1941, Tbilisi: - 2 x 1 - 45/43; + 4 x 1 - 37/63 70K

1942, Baku: - 2 x 1 - 45/43; + 6 x 1 - 37/63 70K, 4 x 2 - 12.7/90

1943, Baku: - 4 x 2 - 12.7/90, 2 x 1 - 12.7/79; + 5 x 1 - 37/63 70K

1944, Minsk: + 1 x 2 - 76/52 81K, 2 x 1 - 37/63 70K

1944, Tbilisi: + 4 x 1 - 37/63 70K

1944- 1945, presumably all: + type 285, SG radars

1954, Baku; 1955, Tbilisi: were armed with 5 x 1 - 130/51 B-13, 4 x 2 - 37/70 V-11, 2 x 4 - 533 TT, 2 DCT, 2 DCR (67), 76 mines, Giuys-1, Rif-1, Vympel-2 radars, Tamir-5N sonar; max speed was 34 - 35kts.

Naval service

To the beginning of Great Patriotic War Minsk served on Baltic, Baku and Tbilisi on Pacific, but Baku in 1942 has passed to the Northern Fleet.    Minsk 23.9.1941 was sunk by German aircraft in Kronstadt harbour; salvaged in August, 1942 and in November commissioned again.