|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Новгород [Novgorod]||New Admiralty, St. Petersburg // Nikolayev Admiralty||13.4.1871 // 10.4.1872||2.6.1873||1874||stricken 7.1903|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t|
|No of shafts||
6 HC, 8 cylindrical boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
6 - 7
wrought iron; sides: 229 - 178, barbette: 229, deck: 70
1 x 2 - 279/17 obr. 1867, 2 x 1 - 87/17 4pdr obr. 1867
Black Sea Fleet. The first of the two famous circular ships intended for the defence of Nikolayev and the Dnepr estuary, Novgorod was built in sections at St Petersburg and assembled at Nikolayev.
The side armour extended from the deck edge 0.5m above wl to 1.4m below, and was 229mm for the upper 0.9m and then 178mm. Hughes backing with heavy iron stringers was used. The deck rose to 1.6m aw and was 70mm thick, while the 229mm barbette extended 2.1m above the deck, and the funnels had 114mm for a height of 0.9m. The hull was heavily wood sheathed with 686mm outside the armour, and was coppered.
1880s: 2 outer shafts were removed; 2000hp, 5-6kts; + 2 x 5 - 37/17 Hotchkiss
No significant events.