|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Palestro||R. Arsenale di La Spezia||8/1865||2.10.1871||11.7.1875||stricken 4.1900|
|Principe Amedeo||R. Cantiere di Castellamare di Stabia||8/1865||15.1.1872||15.12.1874||stricken 3.1895|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t||
Principe Amedeo: 6020
Palestro: 78.8 pp
Principe Amedeo: 79.7
Principe Amedeo: 17.4
Principe Amedeo: 7.90
|No of shafts||
1 HSE, 6 cylindrical boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
Principe Amedeo: 12.2
iron; belt: 220, battery: 140, CT: 60
1 x 1 - 279/13 Armstrong 25ton MLR, 6 x 1 - 254/15 Armstrong 18ton MLR No1
These two vessels were the first ironclads built and fitted out entirely by Italian yards, but 9-10 years passed from the time they were laid down to completion. They were designed by Insp Eng Giuseppe De Luca and, although projected as wooden-hulled ships, they actually had composite wood and iron hulls. Rigged as barques, and with sail areas of 3476m2 (Palestro) and 3418m2 (Principe Amedeo), they were the last Italian wooden ironclads, and the last to be provided with sails.
Hull was protected by a complete belt and with iron sides amidships. The Palestro had three armoured casemates (140mm thick plates), one beginning some 6m from the bows, protecting the 279mm 'chaser' gun and two 254mm guns, another beginning 10m from the stern and containing the two starboard and two port 254mm guns, and the third protecting the stern. A primitive CT was protected by 60mm plates.
Hull was protected by a complete belt and with iron sides amidships. The Principe Amedeo had one central casemate, containing all six 254mm guns, it was protected with 140mm plates. A primitive CT was protected by 60mm plates.
The Palestro served from 1889 to 1894 as the headquarters ship of the defence of La Maddalena, and subsequently at La Spezia as a TS for coxswains and boys; removed from the naval list on 14.4.1900, she was scrapped in 1902-4. The Principe Amedeo served as the headquarters ship for the defence of Taranto in 1888-9, and after she was stricken on 28.3.1895 her hull was depot at Burfoluto (Taranto) until 1910, when she was sold for scrapping.