|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Affondatore||Harrison, Millwall, UK||11.4.1863||3.11.1865||6.6.1866||stricken 10.1907|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t||
89.6 pp 93.8 oa
|No of shafts||
1 HSE, 8 rectangular boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
iron; side: 127, turrets: 127, deck: 51
2 x 1 - 229/14 Armstrong 12.6ton MLR
309 - 356
The building of this ship was originally contracted with Mare of Millwall on 11.10.1862, but because of the yard's financial difficulties the Italian Government signed a new contract with Harrison, who recast the plans. However, financial problems arose once more; the planned 18 months for the delivery of the ship expired, and the ship eventually sailed from London, uncompleted, on 20 June 1866, the day the halo-Austrian war broke out, since the Italian Government feared a possible sequestration of the ship by the British authorities. The Affondatore joined the Italian fleet off Lissa a few hours before the action. She had an iron hull, a complete iron belt 127mm thick, two single turrets with 228mm Armstrong guns, and was schooner-rigged.
Complete belt was 127mm-thick.
1883-1885: she was re-engined (3240hp), fitted with one military mast, CT with 127mm sides was installed; - 2 x 1 - 229/14; + 2 x 1 - 254/30 B,
1888-1889: + 6 x 1 - 120/24 Armstrong 1.38ton BLR, 1 x 1 - 75/21 Uchatius 29cwt BL No1, 8 x 1 - 57/40 H, 4 x 5 - 37/20 H
1891: + 2 - 450 TT (beam)
She was sunk in a storm off Ancona harbour on 6.8.1866. Refloated, she was rebuilt in 1867-70. Since 1891 Affondatore served as a torpedo TS and, in 1904-7, as the principal ship for the defence of Venice. Removed from the Navy list on 11.10.1907, she served her final years as a floating ammunition depot at Taranto.