home

fighting ships of the world

HUNGARIAN RIVER FLOTILLA (HUNGARY)

RIVER BOATS

KOMAROM armoured river gunboats (1918/1919)

Debrezen 1939

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Komarom (ex-Stör, ex-p), 10/1927- Sopron   Danubius, Budapest, Austria-Hungary 1916 1918 4/1918 // 1/1919 to Austria 4/1920 (Stör), purchased again 10/1927, captured by USA 5/1945, sold mercantile 1949
Pozsony (ex-Lachs, ex-q), 1924- Debreczen   Danubius, Budapest, Austria-Hungary 1916 1918 4/1918 // 1/1919 sunk 25/11/1944

 

Displacement standard, t

144

Displacement full, t

160

Length, m

45.5

Breadth, m

6.00

Draught, m

1.00

No of shafts

2

Machinery

AEG geared steam turbines, 2 Yarrow boilers

Power, h. p.

1400

Max speed, kts

16

Fuel, t

oil 18

Armour, mm belt: 10, deck: 6, turrets: 22, CT: 10

Armament

2 x 1 - 75/27 G. L/30 K.16 BAG, 6 x 1 - 8.3/66

Complement

42

Ship project history: Former Austro-Hungarian river armoured gunboats. Development of Wels class with increased dimensions and new artillery, capable to conduct AA fire. They were laid down in 1916 as p and q; commissioned in August, 1918 as Stör and Lachs. After disintegration of Austro-Hungary they were commissioned by Hungarian Danube flotilla as Komarom and Pozsony, but 15/4/1920, as results of partition of Austro-Hungarian Navy, former was headed out to Austria and 14/5/1921 was commissioned by Austrian flotilla with former name. Pozsony in 1924 passed major repairs at Debrezen and renamed Debrezen. 6/10/1927 Stor was sold to Hungary and in 1930, after repair and re-equipment, was commissioned as Sopron.

Ship protection: Bullet-proof protection.

Modernizations: 1924, Pozsony: (- 2 x 1 - 75/27; + 2 x 1 - 84/30 FK M.18)?

1930, Sopron: main engine was replaced by 2 MAN diesels (1600hp); (- 2 x 1 - 75/27; + 2 x 1 - 84/30 FK M.18)?

1940, Debreczen: + 1 x 1 - 20/65 C/38

1940, Sopron: + 1 x 1 - 40/56 Bofors M36, 1 x 1 - 50/12 mortar

1944, Debreczen: - 1 x 1 - 20/65; + 1 x 4 - 20/65 C/38

Naval service: Debrezen 25/11/1944 was sunk by Soviet tanks at Czepel (S part of Budapest). Sopron in May, 1945 was captured by American troops at Wünsdorf, disarmed and in 1949 sold to private German owner and renamed Hertha, since 1962 Irene. She was broken up in 1966.

Debreczen 1925

Ivan Gogin, 2009-15