home

fighting ships of the world

KRIEGSMARINE (GERMANY)

COASTAL FORCES

S501 motor torpedo boats (1941/1943)

S501 1943

Names

S501 - S507 (ex-MAS566 - 570, 574, 575)

Builders

Baglietto, Varazze, Italy: S501 - 505

Celli, Venezia, Italy: S506, 507

Commissioned

1941 // 5/1943

Losses

S505 (1943), S507 (27/5/1943)

Transfers

Rumania, 8 - 10/1943: S502 - 504, 505

Discarding

10/1943: S501

 

Displacement standard, t

 

Displacement full, t

29.4

Length, m

18.7

Breadth, m

4.70

Draught, m

1.50

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Isotta-Frascini ASM183 petrol engines / Alfa Romeo 2500 petrol engines for cruising

Power, h. p.

2300 / 140

Max speed, kts

44.1 / 8

Fuel, t

petrol 3.9

Endurance, nm(kts) 997(8)

Armament

1 x 1 - 20/65 M1940, 2 - 450 TT, 1 DCR (10)

Complement

10

Ship project history: MAS566-570, 574 and 575 in 1942-1943 operated on Black sea and 20/5/1943 were transferred to Kriegsmarine as S501-507.

Modernizations: None.

Naval service: S507 27/5/1943 was lost as a result of collision at Feodosiya; remaining in October, 1943 were laid up at Romania, in the end of 1944 escaped upwards across Danube and were disarmed at Linz.

MAS570 and sisters

 

Ivan Gogin, 2008-14