home

fighting ships of the world

KAISERLICHE MARINE (GERMANY)

TORPEDO SHIPS

D5 division torpedo boats (1889)

D5 1914

Name Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
D5 382 Schichau, Elbing 1888 20/10/1888 4/1889 fishery protection 1905-1906, TS 1914, discarded 12/1920
D6 383 Schichau, Elbing 1888 9/2/1889 6/1889 TS 1916, discarded 12/1920

  

Displacement normal, t

300

Displacement full, t

406

Length, m

59.6

Breadth, m

7.40

Draught, m

3.50 deep load

No of shafts

1

Machinery

VTE, 2 locomotive boilers

Power, h. p.

3200

Max speed, kts

22.6

Fuel, t

coal 98

Endurance, nm(kts)

2310(14)

Armament

6 x 5 - 37/27 RV L/30, 1 - 350 TT (bow), 2 x 1 - 350 TT

Complement

46

Ship project history: These 'division boats', or flotilla leaders, were basically larger versions of the torpedo boats they were intended to lead, with a similar armament and speed, but of a larger size in order to accommodate the extra staff needed. The most interesting design was the last, D9, which had the beginnings of the 'trawler bow', a raised forecastle which did not extend back as far as the bridge.

Modernizations: 1893, both: - 6 x 5 - 37/17; + 3 x 1 - 50/37 SK L/40 C/92

1904, D6; 1910, D5: were reboilered with 2 Marine boilers

Naval service: No significant events.

 

Ivan Gogin, 2014