home

fighting ships of the world

KRIEGSMARINE (GERMANY)

CAPITAL SHIPS

BIBER monitor

Biber 1944 with additional bow and stern

Name No Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Biber (ex-GM194, ex-Faa di Bruno)     Arsenale di Venezia, Italy   30/1/1916 23/7/1917 // 9/9/1943 surrendered 5/1945, BU

 

Displacement standard, t

 

Displacement full, t

2854

Length, m

55.6 (129.5 with additional ends)

Breadth, m

27.0

Draught, m

2.24

No of shafts

2

Machinery

2 VTE

Power, h. p.

465

Max speed, kts

3.3

Fuel, t

coal

Armour, mm

belt: 2900 concrete cofferdam, deck: 40, barbette: 60, turret: 110 face

Armament

1 x 2 - 381/40 Mk A, 4 x 1 - 76/40 Ansaldo 1916, 2 x 1 - 40/39 Vickers-Terni 1915

Complement

743

Ship project history: Ex-Italian monitor, rebuilt from floating crane pontoon in 1917, alid up in 1924 and re-rated in 1924 to floating battery. After capitulation of Italy she was captured by German troops and commissioned by Kriegsmarine as monitor. Additional ship ends increased ship length from 56 to 130m, also full ship was camouflaged, taken massive false superstructure in place of turret and false funnel instead of battle mast.

Ship protection: Hull was protected all around by 2.9m concrete layer.

Modernizations: None.

Naval service: Biber was surrendered in May, 1945 and broken up.

Faa di Bruno

 

Ivan Gogin, 2008-10