home

fighting ships of the world

FRENCH NAVY (FRANCE)

CRUISERS

JEANNE D`ARC armoured cruiser (1902)

Jeanne d`Arc 1902

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Jeanne d`Arc, 1928- Jeanne d`Arc II   Arsenal de Toulon 24/10/1896 8/6/1899 1902 stricken 2/1933

 

Displacement normal, t

11092

Displacement full, t

11270

Length, m

145.4

Breadth, m

19.4

Draught, m

8.10 max

No of shafts

3

Machinery

VTE, 48 Normand-Sigaudy boilers

Power, h. p.

33000

Max speed, kts

21.8

Fuel, t

coal 1970

Endurance, nm(kts) 13500(10)
Armour, mm Harvey nickel steel; belt: 150 - 40, turrets: 160 - 120, turret bases: 140 - 50, shields: 75, deck: 65 - 35, CT: 150

Armament

2 x 1 - 194/40 M1893-96, 14 x 1 - 139/45 M1893, 16 x 1 - 47/40 M1885, 6 x 1 - 37/20 M1885, 2 - 450 TT (sub, beam)

Complement 651

Ship project history: First oceangoing armoured cruiser of the French Navy which have become prototype of all subsequent armoured cruisers. Jeanne d`Arc was appeared unsuccessful: she never reached a designed speed (23kts), had unsatisfactory manoeuvrability (2000m tactical diameter!) and had too big fuel consumption. Besides, for her sizes armament was too weak.

Ship protection: Complete main belt had 4.32m height, its 2.5m-high lower strake tapered from 150 to 50mm at lower edge and closed aft of the rudder-head by 100mm bulkhead. Upper 100mm belt decreased to 40mm near ship ends and taken to the forecastle deck fwd. Curved main deck had 65mm flat part connecting with lower edge of main belt by 35mm slopes. 20mm flat medium deck connected with top of main belt. A space between these decks was divided into many small compartments, filled with coal or stores. Turrets had 160mm rears (for balancing) and 120mm faces. 139mm guns were protected by 75mm shields (6 guns on forecastle deck level) and additionally by 40mm sponsons (guns on upper deck).

Modernizations: 1914: boilers were replaced by 36 Guyot de Temple (28000hp); - 6 x 1 - 37/20

Naval service: Since 1912 Jeanne d`Arc served as TS, but with a beginning of WWI was commissioned again. In 1919 she again became training ship for midshipmen and laid up into reserve in 1929.

Ivan Gogin, 2008-14