home

fighting ships of the world

FRENCH NAVY (FRANCE)

CRUISERS

DE GRASSE light cruisers (1956)

De Grasse as designed

De Grasse 1961

De Grasse 1968

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
De Grasse C610 Arsenal de Lorient 28/8/1939 11/9/1946 3/9/1956 stricken 1/1974
Châteaurenault   F C de la Méditerranée, La Seyne --- --- --- cancelled
Guichen   F C de la Gironde, Bordeaux --- --- --- cancelled

as designed

Displacement standard, t

8000

Displacement full, t

 

Length, m

174.0 pp 176.3 oa

Breadth, m

18.0

Draught, m

5.54 full load

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Rateau-Bretagne geared steam turbines, 4 Indret boilers

Power, h. p.

110000

Max speed, kts

33

Fuel, t

oil

Endurance, nm(kts)  

Armour, mm

belt: 100, torpedo bulkhead: 20, bulkheads: 60 - 20, deck: 38, turrets: 100 - 50, barbettes: 95 - 70, CT: 95 - 50

Armament

3 x 3 - 152/55 M1930, 3 x 2 - 100/45 M1933, 5 x 1 - 25/60 M1938, 1 x 4 - 13.2/76, 2 x 2 - 13.2/76, 2 x 3 - 550 TT, 2 catapults, 4 seaplanes

Complement

540

Ship project history: First of "Improved La Galissoniére" was ordered in 1937 and other two in 1938. They should be faster than prototype and had to had modified aircraft arrangement (two catapults and hangar should be placed amidships). Only first ship was laid down, works were suspended in 1940, restarted only in 1946 and soon stopped to consider modernized design. Construction was resumed again in January 1951. In June 1954 incomplete ship sank at shipyard after she had been floated out with open sea-cocks, and completion was delayed again.

    New armament consisted of new twin 127mm and 57mm DP mounts (these gun mounts also were installed on new T47 class fleet escorts). No fewer than 4 directors provided 127mm guns fire and each was paired with small director for 57mm guns. All guns were radar-controlled and stabilized. Planned two triple 550mm TT banks were never installed. De Grasse was equipped as command ship and can play role of fighter direction ship (she had DRBI10 height-finding radar).

    Machinery was retained as in original design but hull was lengthened, transom stern was replaced by cruiser-type, bridge structure was redesigned. As result of installation of new armament and sensors standard displacement was 1400t greater than in original project.

Ship protection (as originally planned): Torpedo bulkhead protected the hull between end barbettes. Main 100mm belt protected machinery and command center under main deck, it was about 2m narrower abreast magazines. Transverse bulkheads had 60mm thickness between main deck and upper platform and 20mm between upper platform and double bottom. They were placed forward from barbette No1, between command center and barbette No2s, between machinery spaces and aft magazines and aft from barbette No3. Belt was closed by 38mm main deck. Steering gear compartment had 38mm crown, 26mm sides and 20mm transverse bulkheads. Turrets had 100mm faces, 50mm sides and crowns and 40mm rears. Barbettes had 95mm protection over upper deck and 70mm between main and upper decks. CT had 95mm sides and 50mm roof and had communication tube with 45mm armour.

De Grasse as completed

Displacement standard, t

9380

Displacement full, t

12350

Length, m

180.4 pp 188.3 oa

Breadth, m

18.6 wl 21.5 max

Draught, m

5.54 normal load, 6.30 full load

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Rateau-Bretagne geared steam turbines, 4 Indret boilers

Power, h. p.

105000 (forced 120000)

Max speed, kts

33 (forced 33.8)

Fuel, t

oil

Endurance, nm(kts) 6000(18)

Armour, mm

belt: 100, torpedo bulkhead: 20, bulkheads: 60 - 20, deck: 38

Armament

8 x 2 - 127/54 Mod 1948, 10 x 2 - 57/60 Mod 1951

Sensors DRBV-20A, DRBV-11, DRBI-10, 4 x DRBC-11, 4 x DRBC-30 radars

Complement

950 (983 as flagship)

Ship protection (as completed): Torpedo bulkhead protected the hull between end gun mounts. Main 100mm belt protected machinery and command center under main deck, it was about 2m narrower abreast magazines. Transverse bulkheads had 60mm thickness between main deck and upper platform and 20mm between upper platform and double bottom. They were placed forward from fwd 127mm mounts, between command center and 127mm mounts Nos3 and 4, between machinery spaces and aft gun mount and aft from aft gun mount. Belt was closed by 38mm main deck. Steering gear compartment had 38mm crown, 26mm sides and 20mm transverse bulkheads.

Modernizations: 1962: - 4 x 2 - 57/60, 2 DRBC-11, DRBV-11 radars; + DRBV-20A radar (second)

1966, cruiser was converted to flagship of Pacific experimental Centre: - 2 x 2 - 127/54, 6 x 2 - 57/60, 2 DRBV-20A, 1 DRBC-11, 4 DRBC-30 radars; + DRBV-23 radar; superstructure was enlarged, tall lattice mainmast was fitted. Standard displacement was 9000 t, complement was 560 + 120 berths for engineers and techicians.

Naval service: De Grasse served as command ship of Pacific Experimental Center from 1966 until stricken in 1973.

De Grasse after 1966

Ivan Gogin, 2008-15