|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|O'Higgins||Armstrong, Newcastle, UK||4.4.1896||17.5.1897||2.4.1898||discarded 1946|
|Displacement normal, t||8500|
|Displacement full, t|
125.5 pp 135.2 oa
|No of shafts||
2 VTE, 30 Belleville boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
Harvey nickel; belt: 178 - 127, protective deck: 51 - 38 with 76 - 38 slopes, main turrets: 178 - 127, secondary turrets and casemates: 152 - 127, CT: 229
4 x 1 - 203/40 Armstrong T, 10 x 1 - 152/40 Armstrong Z4, 4 x 1 - 120/44 Armstrong Y, 10 x 1 - 76/40 Armstrong N, 10 x 1 - 57/40 6pdr Hotchkiss, 3 - 450 TT (1 bow, 2 beam)
In September, 1895 Chilean Government declared the tender for building of 7300t cruiser, protected by 178mm belt from Harvey steel and armed by 2 203mm and 10 152mm guns. Designers of Armstrong under the guidance of P. Watts developed 6 variants of a basic design with various arrangement of artillery and boilers type. The order was given out in March, 1896
As a whole she was a successful project for the time, served as prototype at creation of Japanese cruisers of Asama class. Hull was wood- and copper-sheathed. Ship differed by atypical for British shipbuilding rhombic arrangement of artillery. 203mm/40 guns were installed in single turrets: two on bow and stern and two aside between fwd superstructure and first funnel. From ten 152mm/40 guns four took places also in single turrets, remaining in casemates on battery deck. Machinery included 30 water-tube boilers grouped on 10 in three rooms. On trials with Chilean stockers ship has not reached designed capacity, nevertheless 20kts contract speed has been significantly exceeded: the result was 21.48kts at 15930hp.
79.2m-long belt was 2.1m-deep and was 178mm thick over the engine and boiler rooms and 152mm fore and aft. There was a complete protective deck, 38mm-thick behind the belt and 76-51mm-thick at the ends.
(1919-1920): - 4 x 1 - 120/44, 10 x 1 - 57/40; + 3 x 1 - 76/40 Armstrong N AA
Since 1933 O`Higgins did not go out to sea, but within 24 years she served as command ship. She was discarded in 1946, sold in 1958, but scrapped only in 1964.