home

fighting ships of the world

K-U-K MARINE - AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN NAVY (AUSTRIA-HUNGARY)

TORPEDO SHIPS

TB 74T torpedo boats (1914)

78T 1918

Name Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
74T 466 STT, San Marco 4/1913 28/8/1913 6/1914 to Romania 1920 (Viforul)
75T 467 STT, San Marco 5/1913 20/11/1913 7/1914 to Romania 1920 (Vartejul)
76T 468 STT, San Marco 6/1913 15/12/1913 7/1914 to Yugoslavia 1920 (T1)
77T 469 STT, San Marco 8/1913 30/1/1914 8/1914 to Yugoslavia 1920 (T2)
78T 470 STT, San Marco 10/1913 4/3/1914 8/1914 to Yugoslavia 1920 (T3)
79T 471 STT, San Marco 12/1913 30/4/1914 9/1914 to Yugoslavia 1920 (T4)
80T 472 STT, San Marco 12/1913 3/8/1914 11/1914 to Romania 1920 (Vijelia)
81T 473 STT, San Marco 2/1914 6/8/1914 12/1914 to Romania 1920 (Sborul)

 

Displacement normal, t

262

Displacement full, t

320

Length, m

58.2 wl 57.3 pp

Breadth, m

5.70

Draught, m

1.50

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Parsons steam turbines, 2 Yarrow boilers

Power, h. p.

5000

Max speed, kts

28

Fuel, t

coal 18 + oil 24

Endurance, nm(kts)

980(16)

Armament

2 x 1 - 66/27 G. L/30 K.09, 2 x 2 - 450 TT, 10 - 12 mines

Complement

39

Ship project history: In 1910 the Naval Technical Committee ordered the development of a 275t coastal torpedo-boat, capable of sustaining 30kts for 10 hours (this being the duration of a passage from Cattaro to the Otranto Straits, time to gain contact and attack before morning, and return at full speed - four years before the war such torpedo-boat attacks on enemy forces blockading the Otranto Straits were clearly predicted). Turbines, diesel and turbo-electric propulsion were discussed, but the decision was quickly made: diesels in the necessary dimensions were not available; and turbo-electric propulsion would not be advisable without the practical experience gained by running a test vessel. Of the two yards competing, STT won the contract for eight boats. Although their particulars were very nearly those requested by the Navy for the coastal torpedo-boat, they were classified as sea-going boats. Being the first Austrian turbine-powered small units, it is not surprising that the first boats experienced constant troubles with their machinery. Initially they were to be armed with 3-66mm/30 guns and 3 TT (1 x 2, 1 x 1) but for reasons of standardization they received the same armament as the following Danubius-built class.

Modernizations: 1914, all: + 1 x 1 - 8/80

1917, all: - 1 x 1 - 66/27; + 1 x 1 - 75/27 G. L/30 K.16 BAG

Naval service: All boats saw active service on convoy, submarine hunting, escort and minesweeping duties, and all survived the war. Tb74, 75, 80 and 81 were allocated to Rumania in 1920, the first three being stricken in 1927, but Sborul was in service until 1958. Tb 76-79 were allocated to Yugoslavia: T4 was lost after stranding in 1932; T2 was stricken in 1939; T1 and T2 were incorporated into the Italian Navy in April 1941, under their old designations. After the collapse of Mussolini's empire, the former T1 was returned to the navy of the independent Croatian state on 7 December 1943 renamed Golesnica and served with the later Yugoslavian Navy until 1959. The former T2 also became part of the navy of independent Croatia in 1943, but served as the German TA48 with an exclusively Croatian crew; she sank after suffering bomb hits on 20 February 1945 at Trieste.

81T 1917

Ivan Gogin, 2014