home

fighting ships of the world

K-U-K MARINE - AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN NAVY (AUSTRIA-HUNGARY)

CAPITAL SHIPS

KRONPRINZESSIN ERZHERZOGIN STEFANIE barbette ship (1889)

Kronprinzessin Erzherzogin Stefanie 1889

Name Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Kronprinzessin Erzherzogin Stefanie (ex-Erzherzog Ferdinand Max) 210 STT, San Rocco 12/11/1884 14/4/1887 7/1889 hulk 1910

 

Displacement normal, t

5075

Displacement full, t

 

Length, m

87.2 wl 85.4 pp

Breadth, m

17.1

Draught, m

6.60

No of shafts

2

Machinery

3-cyl VC, 10 cylindrical boilers

Power, h. p.

8000

Max speed, kts

17

Fuel, t

coal 400

Endurance, nm(kts) 2400(10)
Armour, mm compound; belt: 230, turrets: 280, deck: 25, CT: 50

Armament

2 x 1 - 305/32 G. L/35 C.80, 6 x 1 - 149/33 G. L/35 K.86 apt., 2 x 1 - 66/16 G. L/18, 7 x 1 - 47/40 SFK L/44 H, 2 x 1 - 47/30 SFK L/33 H, 2 x 1 - 37/20 SFK L/23, 4- 400 TT ( 1 bow, 1 beam, 1 stern)

Complement

430

Ship project history: These barbette ships (Kronprinzessin Erzherzogin Stefanie and Kronprinz Erzherzog Rudolf) were designed by the new Austrian Director of Naval Construction, Josef Kuchinka. The hull was constructed from transverse and longitudinal frames, and was highly subdivided, although the armour enclosed only the vital parts of the ship. Externally, the ships were characterized by main battery guns mounted side by side facing forward (plus one firing stern on Kronprinz Erzherzog Rudolf). The origin of this arrangement seems to have, been the French custom of placing guns in open barbettes, so that their arc of fire was greater - as in the old citadel arrangements. However, open barbettes were no longer effective after 1890, due to the introduction of rapid loading heavy guns so that these ships quickly became obsolete. The remarkable number of 37 additional auxiliary steam engines were installed.

Ship protection: The belt (1.4m under wl and 1.4m above) protected all ship length and was 229mm (on 293mm teak) tapered to 140mm amidships, 108mm (on 204mm teak) tapered to 102mm at wfd end and 152mm (on 204mm teak) tapered to 127mm at aft end. Flat 25mm steel deck was connected with upper edge of the belt. Common barbette (above the upper deck) had 152mm protection. CT had 225mm sides.

Modernizations: None.

Naval service: Kronprinzessin Erzherzogin Stefanie became a hulk in 1910 and in 1914 she became an accommodation ship for the mine warfare school. In 1920 she was ceded to Italy as war reparation and scrapped there in 1926.

Kronprinzessin Erzherzogin Stefanie 1895

Ivan Gogin, 2014