|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Erzherzog Karl||341||STT, San Marco||24.7.1902||4.10.1903||17.6.1906||to France 1920, BU|
|Erzherzog Friedrich||342||STT, San Marco||4.10.1902||30.4.1904||31.1.1907||to France 1920, BU|
|Erzherzog Ferdinand Max||347||STT, San Marco||9.3.1904||21.5.1905||21.12.1907||to United Kingdom 1920, BU|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t|
126.2 oa 124.4 wl
|No of shafts||
2 4-cyl VTE, 18 Yarrow boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
|Armour, mm||belt: 210, turrets: 240, casemates: 150, bulkheads: 200, deck: 55, CT: 220|
2 x 2 - 238/37 G. L/40 S., 12 x 1 - 190/40 G. L/42, 12 x 1 - 66/42 SFK L/45, 4 x 1 - 47/40 SFK L/44 S, 2 x 1 - 47/30 SFK L/33 H, 4 x 1 - 37/42 C.1900V, 4 x 1 - 8.80, 2- 450 TT (beam)
Because of the limits of docks and tight naval budgets, the three pre-dreadnoughts of the Erzherzog Karl class were very compact, well-protected battleships, although they were inferior to their contemporaries in other navies. For the first time the secondary armament was concentrated in fully electric powered turrets.
Main 210mm belt extended at 67% of ship length between barbettes and from 1.4m under wl and 1.2m above and was closed by 210mm transverse bulkheads. Between the fwd barbette and the stem its thickness was 50mm. Upper 120mm belt between barbettes was closed by 120mm bulkheads. 19cm battery consisted of individual casemates with 170mm sides and 35mm inner bulkheads, connected by 130mm side armour. Battery was closed by 170mm transverse bulkheads (130mm near the centre line). 40mm flat main deck on the upper edge of main belt level was connected with lower edge of main belt by 60mm slopes. Outside the citadel the lower deck had turtleback form and was 60mm fwd and 55mm aft. Main barbettes over the upper deck were 210mm and 120mm under the upper deck. Main turrets had 240mm faces, 200mm sides and rears and 50mm crowns, secondary turrets had 150mm faces, 120mm sides and rears and 30mm crowns. Main CT had 220mm sides and 152mm communication tube, aft CT had 120mm sides and 88mm communication tube.
1916, all: + 2 x 1 - 66/42 G. L/45 BAG
All were taken over by Yugoslavia in November 1918, but Erzherzog Karl and Erzherzog Friedrich were ceded as war reparation to France in 1920 and Erzherzog Ferdinand Max to Great Britain.
Many thanks to Wolfgang Stöhr for additional information on this page.