home

fighting ships of the world

AUSTRIAN RIVER FLOTILLA (AUSTRIA)

RIVERINE BOATS

BARSCH armoured river gunboats (1916/1920)

Barsch 1920

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Barsch (ex-Neretva, ex-Barsch, ex-m)   Danubius, Budapest, Austria-Hungary 1915 1915 1916 // 4/1920 to Hungary 7/1929 (Baja)
Compo (ex-n)   Danubius, Budapest, Austria-Hungary 1915 1916 1916 // 4/1920 to Hungary 10/1927 (Györ)

 

Displacement standard, t

129

Displacement full, t

133

Length, m

44.0

Breadth, m

6.00

Draught, m

1.00

No of shafts

2

Machinery

AEG geared steam turbines, 2 Yarrow boilers

Power, h. p.

1200

Max speed, kts

15

Fuel, t

oil 18

Armour, mm belt: 8, deck: 6, turrets: 10, CT: 10

Armament

2 x 2 - 66/24 G. L/26 K.15 BAK, 2 x 2 - 8.3/66

Complement

40

Ship project history: Former Austro-Hungarian river armoured gunboats m and n, built at Budapest. In 1916, at once after completion, they were renamed Barsch and Compo respectively. They had rather foremost for time steam turbines with a full gearing and thus, that they were the first-ever river boats with steam turbines! On trials they shown overall speed 17.3-18.5kts. In 1918 they were used as minesweepers on Black Sea, demonstrated quite good seaworthiness for river ship.
In December, 1918 Barsch was interned at Beograd, in January, 1919 she was commissioned by Yugoslavian Danube flotilla as Bregalnica. Compo in 1919 served with Hungarian Danube flotilla. Barsch and Compo 15/4/1920, as result of partition of Austro-Hungarian Navy refer to Austria with former names.

Ship protection: Bullet-proof protection.

Modernizations: None.

Naval service: 30/7/1929 Barsch was sold to Hungary and was named Baja. Compo was never commissioned and 6/10/1927 sold to Hungary.

 

Ivan Gogin, 2011-15